Business + Publicity

From Unknown to Media Expert

June 4, 2016

< back to blog home

I asked my Amplified Entrepreneur email group what they would like to learn next on my blog and this was, hands down, the most popular request! (you can join the email list at the bottom of this post).

I think most personal brands or entrepreneurs can relate to this problem: you are good at what you do… great actually.

But you’re tired of watching your competitors stealing the spotlight and getting all the attention.

A common excuse is: well, I would pitch myself or my business… but I’m not an expert in anything! Or- I don’t have any experience!

Everyone has to start somewhere and the great news is that it doesn’t take too much time to position yourself as a go-to media expert in your industry!

You simply need to know more than the majority of your target audience.

Now that we have that cleared up, let’s do this!

Here are 4 steps to go from unknown to media expert in 1 month (sure, you gotta hustle a bit but come on, you got this!).

1. Identify Your Expertise.

What do you know a lot about that other people want (or even better, need) to know?

Remember, don’t get overwhelmed with the word expert at this point!

Simply think of your valuable experiences as it relates to your brand/business and how it can be relevant to your audiences needs:

• Did you figure out a way to pay-off thousands of dollars in debt?
  • Do friends always ask for your advice on how to decorate their homes?
  • Have you been through a difficult situation and learned a lot in the process that would save others time and money? Think- researching the best options for retirement homes, planning a wedding on a shoestring budget, etc.

As you can see, there are a lot of ways to position your own experiences as valuable advice to people in a niche audience who need it.

2. Build Your Bio.

If your industry values fancy titles or membership organizations, then join the most official organizations in your field. If you run a small, local business, then join your local chamber or other industry groups. This will boost your bio & credibility while giving you access to host a free talk or luncheon- bringing us to the next step.

3. Get Experience.

Offer to host a free, one-hour talk on your topic at one of the organizations you joined above and the nearest large university. If you have time and it makes sense for your brand, you can also offer this talk to a local business. Just make sure to pitch it as a free, educational talk — no sales!

You can promote it on Facebook and through student  or business groups or go a little guerrilla marketing on this and put up fliers around town or the campus.

Add your speciality expertise from #1 + your credentials and bio with #2 + your experience talking at #3 and now you’re ready to…

4. Make Your Pitch!

Now, you’re not just anybody.

You’re somebody who has credentials, experience, and a unique story!

And make your media pitch timely. Are you a retailer?

Think ahead to holiday shopping.

Are you an accountant?

Plan your pitch around tax season.

You don’t have to be in a seasonal industry for this to work. What stories are already making the news? Pitch yourself to weigh in on these topics that you know are already making headlines.

Not sure who to pitch to or what to say? I share examples and break this part down in my free guide– just enter your email below if you haven’t yet and I’ll send it to you.

There you have it!

If you’re serious about leveraging your expertise to increase awareness & customers, you could realistically accomplish all of these steps in the next month. Just commit + dive in!

Or you can wait another month, another year and be in the same spot you’re in now.

But you don’t want to do that. I know because you took the time to read this far…  you’re already invested. So, let’s get it done! 🙂

If you have any questions or want advice on your pitch, just comment below. I’d love to help!

Emily

1. Judi george says:

I want to start a consulting Case Management business for people, particularly seniors as I have been an RN doing just that for 50 years I don’t know where to start. What do you suggest

• Emily Richett says:

Hi Judi,

That sounds like a great idea! I think the first step is validating the market.
      Find out which organizations, businesses or individuals pay for the services you would be offering. You can research other consultants and firms that offer similar services for starters. Then the next step would be setting up your business structure- LLC, etc. It’s never too early to start promoting your expertise! In the meantime, you could host free seminars/talks at businesses or places where potential customers could engage with you and start building your following. Best of luck- keep us updated!

2. Sam says:

Hi Emily,

I simply love your blog! I want to have a little advice for starting my own online company and selling my services as a social media marketing coach. I don’t know from where to start. Any advice?

• Emily Richett says:

Hi Sam-

The first step is creating a simple website (I like the wordpress platform) that allows you to introduce yourself to an audience + give them a way to pay you! Have a “work with me” page and let them sign-up. From there, you can seek out your target audience in the places they are already hanging out online — write guest posts and share on social media some of your best tips. Once you show people you can provide value even before you’re hired, they’ll start to “know, like & trust” you!

3. Emily says:

Hi Emily! I have a question about commission work. I am a charcoal portrait artist and work based only on commissions – do you have any recommendations of how I can make that work? Since its not a “buy now” or “buy what you see” kind of product. Thank you!! Ive loved reading through your articles! (In case you look, I’m currently working on a massive redesign of my website!)

• Emily Richett says:

Hi Emily- your work is beautiful!

I think you can leverage your talent and expertise as an artist to increase awareness for your business in the media, local events and industry events.
      Are you involved in (or could you be involved in) any particularly interesting organizations that benefit from your work? For instance, maybe you’ve donated your time to draw for a children’s hospital or a local Humane Society— or your auctioning off your work at an event. Those would all be timely and noteworthy opportunities to talk about/feature your work in the media.

I’m not sure where the majority of your business comes from… I’m guessing online, but even if it’s not local, the local media is always a great place to start because you get practice (for pitching and doing the media interviews) as well as validation- you can share that great piece of content on your website and social sites. Often the larger outlets will want to see you in action before promoting your work to their audiences… so this is helpful.

Best of luck– please stay in touch and let me know how it goes!